Christmas/Winter Solstice


This Christmas is very different for me from other Christmases. I've been spending a lot of time alone and thinking as I worked on crocheting afghans for my great-grandchildren and listening to Christmas music. I don't have cable TV and I've gotten tired of watching movies so I just decided to listen to music and think.

What do I think? Well, I think about many, many things. I remember Christmases past when I hear this song or that song. Lots of the memories involve drinking, which I haven't done now for almost 34 years. I have regrets about that because I spent time away from my kids instead of home with them, so some of the memories aren't so good. Other Christmases are happy memories from when my late husband was with us. He loved Christmas and he was quite the romantic at that time of year, too. He always showered all of us with gifts at Christmas. 

I'm actually choosing to stay home and not go out. I've been invited places but staying home is much more fun for me this year. I didn't get caught up in the rush and scramble to make or buy gifts for people. The afghans I'm making are not Christmas gifts, even though I've gotten two done just in time for the holiday. It's sort of time of transition. Almost a rite of passage, if I understand what those are. 

I bought groceries today. That's something I find sort of odd because it's only myself I have to shop for and I've never shopped for just one before. I make mistakes sometimes in miscalculating how many apples I can eat without them going bad. Or buying a whole bag of oranges that turn out to be very unpleasant and then having to eat oranges that aren't good rather than wasting them. I passed on those oranges today and bought the little mandarin ones instead. They turned out not to be very good, either. Sigh.

In addition to the other things I'm doing, I'm also reading books. I've been reading Mists of Avalon. This time I'm able to read it and remember what I've read. I've had the book several times and never quite got through it. This time there's nothing to distract me from concentrating on it.

This is one of the boring posts I mentioned. There's really nothing very earth-shattering to write tonight. But I'm all healed from my stint in the hospital and ready to move on to whatever the new year has in store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speaking of Making Things Harder than Need Be---

Everyday Enchantment Tarot by Poppy Palin

Oh-oh-oh Say Can You See? No, Actually, I Can't Now That You Mention It