Everyday Enchantment Tarot by Poppy Palin


I've been turning over and over in my mind what I could say to write a review of Poppy Palin's new deck, the Everyday Enchantment. I'm so impressed with this deck that I can't begin to put it into words. I just escapes me. I'm going to try here, though.

First of all, the deck is presented in a lovely box with a strong magnetic closure. It's a bright, sunshine-y yellow with an image from the Sun card on the box. Inside there's the lovely handbook and the gorgeous deck.

When I was watching the scans of each card as the deck developed, I was skeptical. I thought this deck would be too simplistic and not versatile enough to really stand the test of time. I was so wrong!

The book is a work of art itself. It's printed on paper that's a joy to touch. Very nice, smooth pages and the binding is very sturdy and well-made. No danger of this book falling apart with use.

The backs of the cards are absolutely gorgeous. I love keeping the deck on my desk face down just because it's so beautiful. The card stock is wonderful as well. A nice matte finish and quite supple card stock. The cards are quite large at 4 inches by 6 inches and that was a definite drawback for me because I've just trimmed most of my other decks to make them smaller because I have arthritis developing in my hands. However, I went ahead and ordered it because I love Poppy's first deck, Waking the Wild Spirit, and I couldn't pass this one by without at least seeing what the deck was like. I'm so glad I did.

Poppy wanted to bring Tarot into the 21st century with this deck and she's certainly done that. In reading through the book, I found that she's taken modern scenes and put all the symbolism of the RWS deck into this new, modern scen. She describes this for every card. The Minor Arcana are given just as much space as the Majors, which is very unusual. The book entries are titled "The image", "the Story" and "the Meaning". She describes all the images and tells us what symbols she's included in each card that represent the RWS symbols. Then in the story, she writes a little bit as though the character in each card were speaking to us. In the meaning section, she describes the meaning of each card in modern terms so we can associate each card with things familiar to the moddern day.

Throughout the book there are key words at the beginning of the book and then at the beginning of each suit. At the start of the section on the Majors, there are two full pages listing the key words for each of the Major cards all in one place for quick reference.

This deck is so beautiful and complete that I can overlook the size of the deck. I can't shuffle it, so I deal it out into four piles to randomize the deck between readings. It isn't any more time-consuming to do that than it would be if I were able to shuffle it.  After dealing the four piles, I reassemble the deck and it's ready for the next reading.This deck is my working deck now and I've put away all the other decks I have.

I wish Poppy all the good fortune in the world with this deck. I can't express enough admiration for the Everyday Enchantment. It's a masterpiece and not just another pretty deck.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speaking of Making Things Harder than Need Be---

Oh-oh-oh Say Can You See? No, Actually, I Can't Now That You Mention It